Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Looking towards Yule

For those of you unfamiliar with the Wiccan seasons, many pagans,like myself consider Oct. 31 (Samhain for them, Halloween for the general public), to be the beginning of winter, the time of reflection and preparation for the New Year. Yule, Dec. 21, is considered the next "biggie" for us, and what I've come to love about Yule is that IT'S MINE!

Christmas has always felt like my parents' and extended family's holiday. I and my partner, before and after we met, have always spent it on the road, except once, with his family or mine. We don't regret that, because we love our families, and as time has passed, it's harder than ever to keep up with them.

Anyhow, when we started our studies with Millie, it took me a while to realize that, along with developing my spiritual path, I could develop my own holiday traditions, and we would almost always "Home for the (SABBAT) Holidays", since they fell on different days than the mainstream Holidays.

What does this have to do with Millie? It occurs to me that as I and partner walked along our new spirtual path, we were undergoing our own transformation, though ours has been spiritual versus physical, as Millie's was. We definitely have had an easier time, since, outwardly, our bodies had not changed, but like Millie, our minds and hearts have shifted dramatically. We live our lives differently, more in tune with the change of the Wiccan calendar, and Millie helped us begin our journey on that road.

Thanks to Millie, my partner and I are Adepts, and he is now a High Priest in his own right, leading an independent Circle, though maintaining ties to Millie and the Mother Circle. One year, I had people sign a Mother's Day card for Millie, beginning with the greeting: "To the Mother of us All". In her Movie, one sees the main character(named Mary Lou for the movie) touched when her sons are calling out "Mom! Mom!", and she realizes they are looking for her. Not many people get to be a Father, and also be considered a Mother at the same time!

So, as the Holiday season ramps up, pagan and mainstream, giving thanks to, and for, family, and appreciation for the guidance we have received from family, biological or chosen, is timely as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment